Kenikan is the name of a small martial arts club in Aarhus that focuses on the transmission of authentic classical Japanese martial arts. We teach traditional armed and unarmed Okinawan arts (Shōrin ryū karate and Yamanni chinen ryū kobujutsu) as well as bugei, i.e. the military disciplines of the samurai (Katori shintō ryū). Everybody over 15-years can apply for a free trial period.
Shima ha shōrin ryū karate
There exists a huge variety of Karate styles. Each using a different body mechanics and mindset. We teach a traditional style i.e. no competition and we focus on empty-handed selfdefense.
Yamanni chinen ryū kobujutsu
Yamanni ryū is an old Okinawan weapons school. The main focus is on the bō (long staff), however, other traditional weapons such as sai (pronged truncheon), tunfa (side-handle baton) and kama (sickle) are also taught.
Tenshin shōden katori shintō ryu
Katori shintō ryū is an ancient Japanese martial arts school founded in 1447. Besides sword fighting a large variety of other weapon disciplines such as the bō (long staff), naginata (glaive), yari (spear) are also taught.
Venue for all activities
Møllevangs Alle 20
8210 Aarhus V
- Monday: 19.00-20.30 (Gym 2)
- Wednesday: 19.00-20.30 (Gym 2)
- Monday: 20.30-21.00 (Gym 2)
- Wednesday: 20.30-21.00 (Gym 2)
Katori shintō ryu
- Tuesday: 17.00-19.00 (Gym 3)
- Sunday: 12.00-14.00 (Gym 3)
How to get started
Kenikan offers two weeks of trial period, free of any charge. Here you have the opportunity to get a first hand impression of our club and of, course hands-on, experience. Please contact us for a trial period via the contact form in the “Contact” tab.
Practical information for the trial period
- Bring long sportswear, a karate or jūdō uniform (we train barefoot – so no shoes are necessary)
- Arrive at the venue at least 10 minutes prior
- Please switch off your phone during training and follow the instructions
Kenikan membership fee
Fee per semester: DKK 750,00 (regardless of how many arts you train)
Additional fees to martial arts federations
Okinawa karate & kobudō
- Registration fee: DKK 0,00 (not applicable)
- Annual fee: DKK 150,00
Katori shintō ryu
- Registration fee: JPY 3.000-6.000
- Annual fee: DKK 200,00